Getting Back in the Swing of Things

19 Jan

Hey everyone! Happy belated New Year!

I don’t really make New Year’s resolutions, because I have learned that I rarely commit myself to keeping them, but one resolution I would like to try REALLY hard to make happen is blogging more. So with any luck, Shannon and I will be updating at least once a week, (fingers crossed). We’ll see how that works out…

Shannon and I are back in Miami, which of course brings mixed feelings. But we’re excited about starting a new semester and getting back into the swing of things. It’s been an eventful week back so far, so here’s some quick updates, WITH PHOTOS! Everyone loves photos.

Maddie in splint

Her momma saw fit to decorate her splint for her.

maddie in a cone

Chewing on her splint landed Maddie in the Cone of Shame

We lost one roommate and gained two. My sweet little Maddie stayed in Arkansas, partially because we will be traveling this semester and I wasn’t sure I would be able to make arrangements for her while we were gone, but also because the little jumping jack was playing and dislocated her knee while we were home! She was jumping and landed wrong, and when we took her to the vet they were unable to get her knee to remain in place. So she ended up in a splint for the past few weeks. We were afraid she might have to have surgery, but her last checkup went well and with any luck she’ll be out of her splint in about a week.


Roger and Dolly on the way to their new home

So to ease the loss of my poor pup, we adopted two goldfish. Meet Roger and Dolly Parton. (hint: Dolly is the more curvaceous of the two…) They are happily bubbling around in our kitchen right now. Also, we’re pretty sure they’re in lurve, as Roger follows Dolly everywhere she swims to.

And speaking of fish, a botched zoo trip ended up turning into a spontaneous fishing outing with our classmate Kathryn and her boyfriend Joey. They took us down to their little fishing spot in a canal on campus, where we caught several fish and several turtles. (The turtles were an accident, we felt bad about them.) And we saw manatees!

I feel we should take a moment to give credit to Joey for being terribly patient with us. When I was a little girl and my stepdad would take me fishing, he spent about 10 percent of his time fishing and the other 90 percent was spent baiting my hook (I didn’t want to touch the bait), untangling me from trees, unhooking and releasing my fish, untangling my reel and of course taking me to the riverbanks so I could troop off into the woods to pee. Now imagine that with three girls instead of one. That’s what Joey did. He’s a gem, clearly.

shannon with a fish

Shannon caught the first fish!

Megan and fish

The first of my five fish!

In addition to fishing and collecting new roomies, we also made a trip to IKEA. I had never been to one before and Shannon did not adequately prepare me for the madness that is an IKEA store. SO. MANY. PEOPLE. And apparently in this ridiculous store of modern, Swiss, do-it-yourself design, there’s a flow. Like, you walk a certain way around the part of the store called the marketplace. YOU SHALL NOT BROWSE THROUGH THE MARKETPLACE ALL WILLY-NILLY! What do you think this is, Wal-Mart? WRONG.

our shelves


So somehow, we ended up going the wrong way through the marketplace, which was much like being salmon swimming upstream. I’m pretty sure I now have grey hair from the experience. But we did acquire some pictures for our walls and some new shelves. Which we hung all by ourselves thank you very much! We borrowed Joey and Kathryn’s power drill and went to town. And mind you, these shelves had two brackets they rested on! Two brackets which must be mounted independently, all while keeping them level and the proper distance apart! Granny, I know you are so proud right now, right?

So I mean, if we can conquer IKEA and hang shelves, this semester of grad school should be a piece of cake, right? Right.

More to come next week,


3 Responses to “Getting Back in the Swing of Things”

  1. Terri Hunt January 20, 2011 at 8:24 am #

    Awe…. you girls rock!

  2. Aunt Amy January 20, 2011 at 10:38 am #

    I miss sunshine!!!!!!! Good luck this semester!

  3. Megan's Dad January 20, 2011 at 7:03 pm #

    Sounds like a great time. Hope yall enjoy the new semester.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: